Government Relations Advisor
Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne
- Represent Amnesty International Australia (AIA) as the leading authority on human rights issues, at the government level.
- Build and nurture relationships with political decision makers, thought leaders and other key influencers to progress AIA’s human rights objectives.
- Assist in the successful achievement of AIA’s campaigns by developing, implementing and evaluating advocacy and external affairs strategies
- Full time Permanent Position based in our Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra Action Centre, requiring regular interstate travel
Amnesty International Australia is one of Australia’s largest not for profit organisations. We are an independent, global movement that campaigns courageously for human rights for everyone.
We’re ordinary people from all walks of life, standing together for justice, freedom, human dignity and equality. We use our passion and commitment to bring torturers to justice, change oppressive laws and free people imprisoned just for voicing their opinion.
We’re independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion to ensure we can speak out on human rights abuses wherever they occur.
Every day we move closer to a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.
We stand for equality, justice, freedom, and human dignity and uphold these values:
- Empowerment - we build people power
- Persistence - we are resolute in pursuit of our goals
- Integrity - we hold ourselves to the highest standards
- Courage - we are fearless in upholding human rights
About the Role:
This is a rare opportunity to really make a difference to human rights. You will advocate change with key decision-makers across the political spectrum to advance AIA's campaigns on domestic and international issues. You will achieve human rights wins by developing, implementing and evaluating strategic advocacy and government relations initiatives. You will be required to monitor public debates and political developments to identify and seize upon opportunities for impact and will also provide high level advice and assistance to the Advocacy Manager as required.
This is a full-time, permanent position for an experienced Government Relations Advisor based in our Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra Action Centre. The role requires regular interstate travel.
You will have:
- Demonstrated government relations and advocacy experience in a similar role (eg. in house government relations or public affairs, adviser to member of parliament, lobbyist, or senior advocate).
- High level understanding of Australian Parliamentary processes and proven experience in developing strategies and positive outcomes based on this knowledge.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated experience in editing and writing in plain English for diverse audiences and purposes.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Highly developed analytical skills, political judgement and strategic thinking.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a team.
- Sound judgement and commitment to Amnesty’s impartial, non-partisan approach.
- Strong commitment to human rights.
In return, you will be rewarded with flexible working conditions, a fantastic office environment, and the knowledge that you will be working for an organisation committed to making a difference. To view some of the benefits that you will be offered as an employee, please visit our website.
Amnesty International Australia welcomes applications from people with diverse experience including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and people from different cultural backgrounds.
To learn more about this role, please view a detailed Position Description.
If this role sounds like you please apply below by answering a few short questions relating to the selection criteria for this role, and attach your cover letter and CV by 9am Friday 4th May 2018