Sydney Action Centre
- See your casework skills utilised in a new light
- Part-time maternity leave cover, 3 days per week - 12month contract
- Sydney based role, flexibility with days
We have an exciting opportunity in our NSW Action Centre for an experienced Casework Coordinator. This position is available part-time, 3 days per week (22.5 hours per week).
You will be responsible for coordinating the cases of people reporting human rights violations to Amnesty International and people seeking assistance with applications made in Australia for refugee status. Utilise your exceptional organisational skills to coordinate systems for initial assessment of cases, documentation of cases, referral to Amnesty International campaign staff or to external agencies as appropriate, and administration of the casework system.
You will have:
- Expertise in international human rights law and its application in Australian domestic law;
- Demonstrated breadth of experience in casework dealing with a range of people from marginalised groups seeking assistance, including preferably experience with asylum seekers and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in working with clients with complex issues and potentially confronting case histories.
- Experience in exercising sound judgement and the ability to demonstrate compassion when communicating difficult messages.
- Well developed time management and organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities with minimal direction.
- Understanding of political processes and the role of non-government organisations in achieving change.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate the work of volunteers and interns.
In return, you will be rewarded with flexible working conditions, a fantastic office environment, and the knowledge that you will be working for an organisation committed to making a difference. To view some of the fantastic benefits that you will be offered as an employee, please visit our website.
If this role sounds like you please apply below by answering a few short questions relating to the selection criteria for this role, and attach your cover letter and CV by 9am Monday, 24th July 2017.
Amnesty International Australia is one of Australia’s largest not for profit organisations and is part of the global movement defending human rights and dignity. We work with people in Australia and our region to demand respect for human rights and protect people facing abuse. To do this, we mobilise people, campaign, conduct research and raise money for our work. We are promoting a culture where human rights are embraced, valued and protected.